Data File Description
This data file description (hereinafter "the Description") explains how we, at Translation Industry Professionals KAJ, collect, process and disclose personal data when we act on behalf of our members and provide services for them, and when members use our website www.kaj.fi.
Under the applicable Data Protection Act, the data controller is “Translation Industry Professionals KAJ” (hereinafter referred to as "KAJ", "we", "us" or "our"). At KAJ we are responsible for ensuring that your personal data is handled in compliance with this Description and the applicable data protection legislation.
Controller contact information:
Translation Industry Professionals KAJ
Business ID: 0975940-0
Address: Pohjoisesplanadi 21 B 7, FI-00100 Helsinki
Person responsible for data protection:
Hanna Gorschelnik, General Manager
Address: Pohjoisesplanadi 21 b 7, FI-00100 Helsinki
Tel. +358 50 576 2553
1. Collecting personal data
Your personal data may be collected in various ways. In general, we collect and process personal data that
- you disclose to us when you contact or deal with us, such as when you become a member, subscribe to our newsletter, or sign up for our events;
- is generated when you visit our website, such as when you log in to the member site or feed your data to the Looking for professional language expertise? service; and
- is collected from other sources to the extent allowed by applicable legislation, including the Trade Register, the Population Register Centre, the Business Information System and the Posti address database.
You do not have to disclose your personal data to us, but if you decide not to disclose it, we may not be able to offer our services to you.
We collect and process the following types of personal data, for example:
- basic data such as your name, personal identity code and contact information (e-mail, address and phone number) and language preference;
- data associated with your membership, including your date of joining KAJ, your membership type and number, your membership fee payment information, marketing permissions and prohibitions, and membership in the unemployment fund;
- employer data, such as the name of the employer and the starting and ending date of employment;
- your contacts with KAJ and associated correspondence and entries regarding the rights of the data subject (i.e. the member of KAJ);
- positions of trust in KAJ and on KAJ’s behalf in our parent union Akava Special Branches and other organisations;
- data collected in conjunction with using our website, including usernames, passwords, identification data, log data and data collected from the website with cookies and corresponding technology (device identification and type, operating system and application settings); and
- other data determined case by case and based on your consent.
2. Purpose and legal grounds for processing personal data
We collect and process only personal data that is needed in order to conduct our operations and manage memberships.
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
1. Membership management and the provision of member services
We process personal data primarily to manage memberships and provide member services, including lobbying on behalf of members’ interests. The processing of personal data is based on the member relationship (agreement) between you and us.
We may contact you to inform you about our member benefits, including training, and to offer member services. We may also process your personal data for member surveys. The processing of personal data is based on our legitimate interest to provide information as a part of our services and to market our other services to you. You may at any time object to the processing of your personal data for the purposes of direct marketing (see part 8 of this date file description).
3. Service development, data security and internal reporting
We also process personal data to ensure the data protection of our member services and our website, to improve the quality of our member services and website and to develop member services. We may also compile internal reports based on personal data for our management to use as they see fit in managing our activities. In these cases the processing of personal data is based on our legitimate interest in ensuring the appropriate data security of our member services and website, and in obtaining sufficient and appropriate data in order to develop our member services and manage our operations.
4. Compliance with legislation
We may process your personal data to meet our legal obligations concerning accounting, or to fulfil the authorities’ (including the tax authorities) statutory data requests.
5. Other purposes to which you have given consent
We also process your personal data for other purposes if you have given your consent for such processing.
3. Transfer and disclosure of personal dataWe may disclose personal data to third parties:
- to the extent allowed or required by law, such as by submitting membership fee data to the Tax Administration for taxation purposes, by fulfilling data requests made by the competent authorities, and by disclosing data for the purpose of legal proceedings;
- when our partners process personal data on our behalf, on our orders and according to our instructions. We always ensure appropriate processing of your data:
- when we determine that disclosure is necessary in order to exercise our rights, protect your or other persons’ safety, investigate misuse or respond to requests made by the authorities;
- with your consent, to partners covered by your consent, in order to offer member benefits to our co-operation partners, for example;
- to the Unemployment Fund for Higher Educated Employees if you have announced in your membership application that you will join the fund;
- to verify your membership in the Turva Mutual Insurance Company and the If Insurance Company, in conjunction with the processing of insurance claims related to insurance policies that are based on your membership in Translation Industry Professionals KAJ.
4. Transfer of personal data outside the borders of the EU or the EEA
Our policy is not to transfer our members’ personal data outside the borders of the EU or the EEA.
However, we may transfer personal data outside the borders of the EU or the EEA if a partner of ours that is carrying out our assignment is located outside these areas. In such cases we will ensure that appropriate protection measures are taken to safeguard the rights and freedoms of data subjects (i.e. members of KAJ) in accordance with applicable data protection legislation such as the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679).
For example, a service provider producing a service on our behalf may transfer personal data to the United States in conjunction with providing the service. In this case, “appropriate personal data protection measures” means that the service provider has undertaken to comply with the so-called Privacy Shield framework between the United States and the EU, or that we use the standard contractual clauses relating to data protection approved by the European Commission. Read about the Privacy Shield framework here https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome.
You can block cookies , limit their use or remove them from your browser. Since our website requires cookies to operate, limiting their use may impact its usability.
6. Retaining personal data
Personal data is retained only as long as it is necessary for the purposes defined in this data file description.
Personal data is retained for the duration of membership. When needed, personal data may also be retained following the end of membership to the extent allowed or required by law. For example, we typically store, beyond the end of membership, the personal data that is needed to respond to claims or legal action, in accordance with the valid regulations on periods of limitation. As another example, we may also retain personal data to the extent necessary in order to comply with your direct marketing prohibition.
Personal data will be removed when its preservation is no longer necessary to comply with the law or to exercise the rights and obligations of either party.
7. Your rights
You have the right to inspect your personal data. You may at any time request rectification, updating or removal of your personal data. Please note, however, that the personal data that is essential in order to fulfil the purposes defined in this Description, or which must be retained by law, cannot be removed.
You have the right to object to or restrict the processing of your personal data to the extent required by applicable law.
In accordance with applicable law, you have the right in certain cases to transfer personal data you have disclosed to us from one system to another, in other words the right to have your personal data in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format, and to transfer your personal data to another data controller.
When we process your personal data, based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. We will not process your personal data following your withdrawal, unless some other legal grounds exist for it.
You may exercise your rights by sending a request to us at the address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you feel that your personal data has not been processed appropriately, you have the right to contact the Data Protection Ombudsman in the matter. You can find the contact details of the Data Protection Ombudsman on the Ombudsman’s website https://tietosuoja.fi/en/home.
8. Data Security
We will take appropriate measures (including physical, digital and administrative measures) to protect personal data from loss, destruction, misuse and unauthorised access or disclosure. By way of example, we can point out that personal data may only be accessed by persons whose duties require access.
Please note, however, that even the most appropriate measures cannot prevent all possible data breaches. When personal data is subjected to data breach, we will inform you as is required by law.
9. Changing the data file description
We have the right to change this date file description. We will notify you of changes on our website www.kaj.fi, which is where you will also find the most current version of this Description.